Edwin Nikkels: Film Director + Digital Artist
A filmmaker and digital artist by trade, a passionate storyteller at heart: Edwin Nikkels is always looking for visual impact by creating captivating imagery. Currently he is one of the most experienced and award–winning cross–media film directors and digital artists working out of Amsterdam.
At a young age, Nikkels' talent surfaced when he directed the first fully 3D–generated music video in the Netherlands. After completing The Netherlands Film and Television School (NFTA), specialising in visual effects and multimedia, Nikkels started to work as a freelance film director and digital artist.
Since then, he has collaborated with national and international advertising agencies, interactive studios and other media related-companies like film and television production houses on projects for Coca–Cola, Nike, Nintendo, Nissan, Sony PlayStation, Volvo and many others.
Nikkels experienced his big break in 2006 when he worked as a film director and digital artist on Volvo's 'The Hunt', promoting part II and III of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies by Disney. This online experience, enriched with dramatic elements, received countless international awards, i.a. a Cannes Lion, a Webby Award and a Golden Epica.
Next to his main work, Nikkels has shared his knowledge as a guest lecturer at his alma mater, the NFTA, and the Communication and Multimedia Design department at the Haagse Hogeschool in The Hague, The Netherlands. One of his clients says about him: "Edwin is one of the best directors and digital artists in The Netherlands. He has a great eye for detail and his creativity is beyond imagination."
If you ask Nikkels about his work, he comments: "It's about the visual. I want to lure the spectator in with captivating imagery and provide solace and comfort to a certain degree. There is a word for that: escapism."
Nikkels is a firm believer in the cross–media approach: "These are fascinating times. There is an unlimited amount of creative energy out there: advertising, art, entertainment, science... As a media–junkie I live and breathe to do it all."
– As a film director, Nikkels directed three world champions: Max Verstappen (Formula One) for Exact, Peter Sagan (Cycling) for Tinkoff Bank and Kevin Durant (Basketball) for Nike;
– His first original idea for an international TV–drama was rewarded with support of the European Union (‘Creative Europe’). A year later the series was picked up by ZDF Enterprises during the M.I.A.–television market in Rome in 2019;
– Was a guest lecturer on media production at various respected institutions;
– During the awards seasons 2006–2008, Nikkels was the most awarded interactive film director in advertising in Europe;
– Initiator of the dedicated Visual Effects–department at his alma mater, The Netherlands Film and Television School, where he subsequently graduated;
– Directed the first fully 3D–animated music video in The Netherlands.